St. James School
Dr. James Dobbin, who had succeeded Dr. Breck in 1866 and who served as Rector of Shattuck School until 1914, founded St. James School for younger boys in 1901. The school was located on the bluff of the Straight River about a half mile north of the Shattuck campus.
On July 1, 2009 the St. James campus was restored to the Shattuck-St. Mary’s School community when SSM bought it back from the Catholic Charities of St. Paul and Minnesota. A charter school approved for grades K-8 opened that fall. As its landlord, SSM does not run the Cannon River STEM School but is fully engaged in collaborating with its faculty and students in learning through the STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) disciplines. In addition, combined programming in the arts has also been explored.