When our Middle School students enter 10th, 11th, and 12th grade, they engage in the same set of experiences described in detail for our 10th – 12th grade students. Those experiences include:
- An introduction to year-long academic classes in the blended model in 10th grade
- A self-paced weCreate experience in the 10th grade
- An academic blended model schedule in 11th and 12th grade
- A parallel curriculum of six ScholarShift modules: mini-courses that cover a diverse set of exciting and engaging interdisciplinary topics and introduce students to new skills and concepts that they do not normally have the chance to learn from their core classes.
- A Senior Initiative: a year-long, self-designed educational experience, such as internships in the local community, creative and innovative endeavors in our weCreate Center, significant service learning opportunities, critical inquiry and research into issues of personal and academic interest, deeper exploration of a module experience, and/or other opportunities that allow them to explore their passions and learn as they do, not as they sit!
The teachers of students in grades 6-9 help students develop the academic skills and habits of mind they need to be successful, and the community life program of the Middle School emphasizes character and community. We also continually explore how to specifically prepare our Middle School students to enter the blended model and ScholarShift experience in the Upper School. To this end, all students are introduced to online educational tools such as Moodle, students are highly encouraged to participate in weCreate courses, and 9th graders enroll in a one-term blended course on Health and Wellness as an introduction to the blended model. In addition, teachers include interdisciplinary projects, oral presentation skills, collaborative work, and research projects as part of our students’ academic work.
We encourage you to reach out if you have any questions or thoughts about what your children’s educational experience at the Upper School will involve.