Shattuck-St. Mary’s School, an Independent College Preparatory Boarding/Day School (grades 6-Postgraduate) in Faribault, Minnesota, is seeking an Accountant. Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer, this position is responsible for ensuring that the school’s accounting data, records and reports are accurate, complete and comply with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. This includes recording and reconciling income statement and balance sheet transactions, analyzing account balances and trends to identify opportunities and issues, supporting external audits and tax filings, and evaluating and recommending opportunities to improve processes and procedures to safeguard the assets of the organization.
- Follow procedures, internal controls and compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Prepare and review journal entries, reconciliations and related work papers to support monthly, quarterly and annual financial close timelines.
- Evaluate transactions and events to ensure proper and complete accounting and reporting.
- Analyze monthly financial variances from budget and provide recommendations to management regarding these variances.
- Create and analyze reports for ad hoc requests from management.
- Compile year end work papers and analysis in preparation for the independent auditor review of financial statement.
- Provide necessary support to independent auditors that leads to a successful audit.
- Continually evaluate and assess organizational policies, procedures and accounting and reporting functions and recommend and implement system improvements where appropriate.
- Maintain the general ledger chart of accounts.
- Assist with other duties as assigned.
- Understands and is committed to life within a residential school setting including such activities as weeknight/weekend supervisory duty.
The Accountant Must:
- Handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Show strong attention to detail
- Think critically and analytically
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Possess strong organizational and customer service skills
- Possess high proficiency in MS Excel and Word
- Bachelor’s degree required; prefer degree in accounting or finance
- 3+ years of related professional experience
- Educational or non-profit experience preferred
- Experience with accounting software programs
Email resume, cover letter and professional references to: Linda Laughlin, Human Resources Director, [email protected]. Application materials will be received thru 4:00 p.m., December 8, 2017 or until position is filled. E.O.E.