Founded in 1858, Shattuck-St. Mary’s School (SSM) is an Episcopal, co-educational, college preparatory, independent boarding/day school serving 500 students in grades 6th-postgraduate from 37 states and over 30 countries. Set on a beautiful 250 acre campus south of Minneapolis/St. Paul in Minnesota, SSM offers a mix of traditional and progressive education, combining classroom and online learning to best prepare students for college and beyond. By cultivating creative and independent thinking, SSM fosters the transformation of its students to become citizens of integrity for an ever-changing world.
Shattuck-St. Mary’s is seeking a science teacher for 9th grade Biology and 8th grade Science, which is a Physical Science curriculum. In addition, we are seeking an individual with strong leadership skills who will work collaboratively with members of the science department to encourage development and growth and who will be an active leader in our middle school community. The Biology teacher will be expected to work collaboratively with two other Biology teachers in our school to ensure a common experience across the program. Teachers who teach at the Upper School at SSM also need to be willing to teach science in a blended course environment (i.e., class meetings twice weekly supplemented by online components, extra help sessions, and study groups); however, at this time, this position will be focused on grades 8 and 9.
Shattuck St. Mary’s School is a boarding/day school and faculty members are expected to be involved with both co-curricular activities and standard residential life duties involved with a residential school setting.
- Candidate should have a demonstrated interest in teaching in our middle school, where the focus is on developing character, leadership, and community alongside a strong academic program.
- Ideal candidates should have a demonstrated ability to teach and develop curriculum for Biology and middle school science but also the interest and ability to teach other science courses at our school, should the need arise.
- Candidate will be comfortable instructing in an innovative educational environment and familiar with technology in the classroom.
- Candidate will participate in residential life duty, including serving as an adjunct or live-in dorm parent as needed; serve as a student advisor; and lead co-curricular activities.
- Ideal candidates should have at least 2-4 years’ experience teaching; however, we will consider first year teaching candidates.
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field; Master’s Degree or relevant coursework preferred
Email resume and cover letter to: Linda Laughlin, Human Resources Director, [email protected] or stop by the Human Resources Office located in the Business Office in the lower level of Shumway Hall. (507)333-1613. Application materials will be received thru 4:00 p.m., May 4, 2018, or until position is filled.