Shattuck-St. Mary’s School seeks an energetic and dedicated Director of the Pre-conservatory program (Pre-Con) to lead a program of 10-15 students in grades 9-postgraduate. Pre-Con is a Center of Excellence (http://www.s-sm.org/arts/preconservatory-music/), and seeks to provide the highest quality of instrumental instruction to its committed and energetic string and piano students.
Founded in 1858, Shattuck-St. Mary’s School (SSM) is an Episcopal, co-educational, college preparatory, independent boarding/day school serving 500 students in grades 6th-postgraduate from 37 states and over 30 countries. Set on a beautiful 250-acre campus south of Minneapolis/St. Paul in Minnesota, SSM offers a mix of traditional and progressive education. By cultivating creative and independent thinking, SSM fosters the transformation of its students to become citizens of integrity for an ever-changing world.
Competitive candidates will:
- possess a Master’s Degree or significant relevant coursework
- possess a minimum of 7 years teaching experience
- have significant orchestral and chamber music experience and a high level of accomplishment in their instrument
- possess qualities that generate confidence and excitement in all stakeholders
- have background in program management and development
- possess qualities of creativity, resilience, collaboration, and flexibility necessary to work in an innovative and dynamic environment
- seek to provide the highest quality of strings and piano instruction to its committed and energetic strings and piano students.
- have experience in the design and development of performing arts curriculum
Supervisory and Other Relationships:
- Reports to the Head of School or designee
- Works directly with Admissions in all aspects of the recruiting and admissions process for Pre-conservatory students.
- Works with the Director of Advancement and Head of School in support of additional events that promote the School.
- Provide overall leadership for the Pre-conservatory program, especially seeking to expand strategic partnerships and increase outreach efforts to the southern MN region
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Vocal Performance and the PAVA Department chair to produce all-school performances for Family Weekends and other school performances
- Work with the communications department to create program promotional materials, maintain the program web page, and use social media to promote the program
- Maintain strong relationships with external master teachers. Collaborate with external teachers regarding selection of ensemble music, clarifying School expectations and schedules, practice time, and student support
- Coordinate logistics for lessons, auditions, competitions, and college visits
- Direct the Pre-conservatory students as a chamber ensemble
- Teach an advance-level music theory course for Pre-conservatory program students
- Recruit new students to the Pre-conservatory program and meeting recruitment goals
- Participate in the admissions process through developing a recruiting plan, auditioning and interviewing candidates, tracking program admissions progress, and collaborating with the Admissions department in all respects of recruiting and selection
- Travel, domestic and international, on occasion to promote the program and support students
- Manage and meet program budgets
In support of its pursuit of academic and scholarly excellence, Shattuck-St. Mary’s School is committed to creating a diverse community of students, faculty, and staff that is dedicated to the fundamental principles of equal opportunity treatment in education and employment regardless of age, color, disability, gender identity, national origin, political ideology, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. The school encourages applications from individuals whose differing backgrounds, beliefs, ideas, and life experiences will further enrich the diversity of its educational community.
Please submit cover letter, resume and references to Erin Sellner, Human Resources Director, Shattuck-St. Mary’s School, [email protected]. Application materials will be received until position has been filled.