Shattuck-St. Mary’s, an independent college preparatory boarding/day school in Faribault, Minnesota, is seeking a Band and Orchestra teacher, starting August 2021. This position will teach as well as conduct our various small ensembles and will develop a repertoire which spans the globe and includes music ranging from classical to contemporary. This position will work with students from grades 6 to 12 and the teacher must be flexible in their instructional style and methods. This position also teaches term-long guitar classes with beginning to intermediate level students, includes note reading instruction, and draws from various traditions such as Classical, Blues, Jazz, and Rock music. In addition, we seek applicants with strong leadership skills who will work collaboratively with members of the Performing and Visual Arts Department and the Upper/Middle School faculty to encourage development and growth.
Our school hosts three major Band and Orchestra performances per year, directed by the Band/Orchestra teacher. In addition, the Band/Orchestra teacher directs the pit orchestra for an annual musical theater performance.
Shattuck St. Mary’s School is a boarding/day school and faculty members are expected to be involved with both co-curricular activities and standard residential life duties involved with a residential school setting.
- Candidate will be comfortable instructing in an innovative educational environment, familiar with technology in the classroom, and open to teaching grades 6-12.
- This individual should be open to, willing, and able to teach and mentor high achieving, average, and struggling students.
- Candidate will participate in residential life duty, including serving as an adjunct or live-in dorm parent as needed; serve as a student advisor; and lead co-curricular activities.
- Candidates should have at least 2-4 years’ experience teaching; however, we will consider first year teaching candidates.
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field; Master’s Degree or relevant coursework preferred
In support of its pursuit of academic and scholarly excellence, Shattuck-St. Mary’s School is committed to creating a diverse community of students, faculty, and staff that is dedicated to the fundamental principles of equal opportunity treatment in education and employment regardless of age, color, disability, gender identity, national origin, political ideology, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. The school encourages and is eager to consider applications from individuals whose differing backgrounds, beliefs, ideas, and life experiences will further enrich the diversity of its educational community.
Email resume and cover letter to Erin Sellner, Human Resources Director, [email protected]. Application materials will be received thru 4:00 p.m., Friday, May 7, 2021.