Shattuck-St. Mary’s School offers a college preparatory ESL program for students in grades 6-12 for whom English is not their first language. We are seeking an upper school (grades 10-12) ESL instructor to teach four to five sections of ESL II, ESL III, and ESL Seminar, which is a writing support course for students in mainstream English. This course load may also include at least one sheltered history course for English language learners.
All ESL sections are based on appropriately-leveled fiction and non-fiction texts in a variety of forms and genres, chosen and arranged thematically. In addition to teaching vocabulary acquisition, grammar, and critical reading skills, ESL courses provide writing instruction that is appropriate for each section according to Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) proficiency levels and WIDA Can-Do descriptors. Small class sizes and the unique make-up of each group of students offer opportunities for tailoring curriculum to each section’s particular skill set.
Shattuck St. Mary’s School is a boarding/day school and faculty members are expected to be involved with both co-curricular activities and standard residential life duties involved with a residential school setting.
- Candidate will be comfortable instructing learners in an innovative, English-immersive educational environment, familiar with technology in the classroom, and open to teaching in a blended model for grades 11-12.
- This individual should be willing and able to teach and mentor high-achieving, average, and struggling students who may be adjusting to American educational traditions and expectations.
- Candidate will also aid in evaluations for school admissions and lead or aid in program exit assessments, progress evaluations, guidance for non-ESL instructors, and learning experiences outside of the classroom.
- Candidate will also support on-site TOEFL testing as needed.
- Candidate will participate in residential life duty, including serving as an adjunct or live-in dorm parent as needed; serve as a student advisor; and lead co-curricular activities.
- Candidates should have at least 2-4 years’ experience teaching English Language Learners; however, we will consider first year teaching candidates.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field; Master’s Degree or relevant coursework preferred.
- Demonstrated capacity in supporting the English language development of high school students from a variety of language backgrounds.
In support of its pursuit of academic and scholarly excellence, Shattuck-St. Mary’s School is committed to creating a diverse community of students, faculty, and staff that is dedicated to the fundamental principles of equal opportunity treatment in education and employment regardless of age, color, disability, gender identity, national origin, political ideology, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. The school encourages and is eager to consider applications from individuals whose differing backgrounds, beliefs, ideas, and life experiences will further enrich the diversity of its educational community.
Email resume and cover letter to Erin Sellner, Human Resources Director, [email protected] Application materials will be received through May 14 or until the position is filled.