Shattuck-St. Mary’s, an independent college preparatory boarding/day school (grades 6-12) in Faribault, Minnesota, is seeking a high school English instructor starting in August 2021. This is a one-year appointment for the 2021-2022 school year.
We are seeking an upper school English Instructor to teach World Literature and select junior and senior electives. The teacher needs to be able to teach the writing process and help students develop their critical reading and critical thinking skills. All sections are literature-based classes where students explore diverse voices and works. The World Literature students complete a major research paper, so the successful candidate would need to collaborate with the lead teacher in planning and teaching each step of this project. The English Department is looking for a collegial team player to work with other members of the department in regular meetings and collaborative projects.
Shattuck St. Mary’s is a boarding/day school and faculty members are expected to be involved with both co-curricular activities and standard residential life duties involved with a residential school setting.
- Candidate will be comfortable instructing in an innovative educational environment, familiar with technology in the classroom, and open to teaching in a blended model for grades 11-12.
- This individual should be open to, willing, and able to teach and mentor high achieving, average, and struggling students.
- Candidate will participate in residential life duty, including serving as an adjunct or live-in dorm parent as needed; serve as a student advisor; and lead co-curricular activities.
- Candidates should have at least 2-4 years’ experience teaching; however, we will consider first year teaching candidates.
- Bachelor’s Degree in English or other relevant field; Master’s Degree or relevant coursework preferred.
In support of its pursuit of academic and scholarly excellence, Shattuck-St. Mary’s School is committed to creating a diverse community of students, faculty, and staff that is dedicated to the fundamental principles of equal opportunity treatment in education and employment regardless of age, color, disability, gender identity, national origin, political ideology, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. The school encourages and is eager to consider applications from individuals whose differing backgrounds, beliefs, ideas, and life experiences will further enrich the diversity of its educational community.
Email resume and cover letter to Erin Sellner, Human Resources Director, [email protected] Application materials will be received through May 14 or until the position is filled.