Summer Session @ SSM
Summer Session @ Shattuck-St. Mary's
July 7-27, 2024
Shattuck-St. Mary’s is delighted to host students from across the globe each summer for an academic immersion program. During the Summer Session @ SSM, students fully engage in all aspects of the SSM community, from residential on-campus dormitory living to innovative academics in our state-of-the-art classrooms to local culture activities in the greater Minnesota area. The Summer Session @ SSM is truly an opportunity of a lifetime.
Academic and Innovation Program Elements
- 3D design, fabrication, and robotics challenges in the Engineering Lab. Students will use 3D design software and 3D printers and learn basic programming language for robot design and operation.
- Deep dive into bioengineering challenges in the BioScience Lab. Students will work with the director of the SSM BioScience program to apply innovation thinking to real-world issues.
- Skill sessions in the video production, fashion design, and music production studios of the weCreate Center.
- Teams collaborate to solve real-world challenges using a design process to develop impactful solutions.
- Writing program focused on developing the authentic personal voice that sets great writing apart. Students will write in a variety of forms including journals, poetry, storytelling, letters, memoir, vignettes, and journalism.
- Individual and collaborative speaking in which students participate in poetry readings, storytelling, and formal presentations that develop comfort and fluency in public speaking.
- Each student will document and curate their experience and work product in the summer session by developing a personal portfolio.
- Community Service Project that engages students with the local community and provides opportunity for reflection on how they can make a positive impact in their own communities.
Group and Choice Activities
- In the group activity period, there will be games and events in which advisories have fun competitions and learn together. This time will include activities such as poetry slam, co-ed basketball tournament, modern dance seminar, and karaoke.
- In the evening activities period, students have the opportunity to recharge their bodies by choosing activities such as walking, basketball, soccer, spike ball, and badminton.
- In-dorm time is a chance to relax and process the day with peers and advisors or for some personal quiet time. Students may read, continue work from their day, play board games, or just relax and connect with peers.
- Students will engage with U.S. culture both on campus and in off-campus activities to include a baseball game, restaurants, museums, a water park, the Mall of America, navigating a small town, and learning to orienteer at a local nature center.